In the year 1952 the Howrah District Library Association initiated this library in a single room of Howrah Duke Library. In 1954 the West Bengal Govt. gave ten kathas of vested land near the Howrah Maidan. Dr. Dhirendra Mohon Sen, the then Secretary of Education Dept, laid the foundation stone on 2nd Oct 1956. In 1952-53 the HDCL started its journey with 106 members. In 1956 the acquisition of this library took place by the State Govt. In the year 1955-56 short term training of the librarians started in the HDCL by the initiative of the HLA. 3rd December the mobile library service were started in the presence of Prafulla Sen the then Minister in charge of Food & Relief Dept. Near about 2500 books, nicely arranged in a Doage car were set to reach 17 busy working zones of the District. This District library has been performing its important role in the spread of local education in Howrah during the last fifty eight years. Now this library contains 71,720 books and it has 4573 members. An average of 120-130 persons uses this library everyday. Besides the lending of books, reference service, various information service, this library has a system of mobile service. The children section is also well equipped with beautifully arranged books. Near about 560 children and teenagers are members of this library. Besides those the first carrier guidance and book support centre had been started here for the job seeking youths of this district.
Pin. : 711101
|Contact Us||:||(033) 2641-4982|
|Name of the Librarian/Library-in-charge||:||Sri Amit Kumar Pal|
|Working Days||:||Monday to Saturday,(2nd & 4th Saturday closed)|
|Working Hours||:||12 noon to 7 p.m.|