District Library, South 24 Parganas
District Library, South 24-parganas is the apex public library of the South 24-Parganas district. The library was established on 29th February 1956. Earlier in 1954 on 20th December a meeting was held under the chairmanship of the then District Magistrate Mr. Binay Ranjan Sengupta to discuss the issue of establishment of an association to look after public library affairs of the district, Representatives of 69 libraries of the district participated in the meeting and “24 PARGANAS DISTRICT LIBRARY ASSOCIATION” was established. Considering the topography of the district, it was decided to establish two district libraries for 24-Parganas district in the 3rd meeting of the association (21 February 1955). For people of the northern part decision was made to establish a district library in Rahara and a proposal was accepted to establish a district library in Vidyanagar for people of the southern part. Sri Dhirendranath Bera, the secretary of the Vidyanagar Siksha Samsad, took initiative and a piece of land measuring 3 bigha was registered under the name of "24 PARGANAS DISTRICT LIBRARY ASSOCIATION" for this purpose. Sri Panchkari Datta, Sri Manomohan Das and Smt Usharani Bera donated the land. The library started its journey with a collection of 1542 books housed in a room of the student hostel of the Vidyanagar School. The construction of new building was completed in 1958. On 1 June 1958 Professor S. N. Bose inaugurated the new building.
|Address||:||Vill. : Bidyanagar,
P.O. : Chara Shyamdas,
Dist. : 24 Pgs.(S),
Bus Stop: AMTALA in KOLKATA DIAMONDHARBOUR Route. From AMTALA to VIDYANAGAR by Auto, Tracker or Bus.
|Contact Us||:||033 2495-9343 /4207|
|Name of the Librarian/Library-in-charge||:||Sri Madhusudan Chowdhury|
|Working Days||:||Monday to Saturday,(2nd & 4th Saturday closed)|
|Working Hours||:||11 a.m. to 6 p.m.|